Monday, August 30, 2010

Stress-Caused Blindness

As many of you know, I am leaving this weekend to study abroad in Barcelona, Spain. So for the past few weeks, I have been hurrying around, shopping, fixing, gathering items, planning, and, of course, stressing. Now this trip has not been the only cause of my stress; I have also been moving and assisting with some family-related needs. But I was really feeling overwhelmed by the whole situation and I was starting to doubt my decision to go abroad in the first place. Why did I think this was a good idea? What is the point of all this?

I was at services and explaining all of this to my friend and she said something profound. I am sure she did not think it was profound, but it really changed my outlook in an instant. She just looked at me and said, "Well don't get too stressed out, you're going to Spain!"

And it made me realize. Sometimes, I spend so much time absorbed in my own worry that I don't see the blessing that is right in front of me. My friend was simply pointing this out. The Lord has given me enough resources at this time to be able to live in a beautiful country for 4 months, full of vibrant people and exquisite scenery! Have I even stopped to thank the Lord for this trip?

Here is my opinion: Stress and anxiety blinds us to the blessings that we have already received. We get so busy running in circles, with our heads in the sand, that we forget to look at what is right in front of us. We go knocking on God's door when he is already in the room with us.

So here's my challenge to you: How have you been blind? What blessing has the Lord already given you to enjoy?

No comments:

Post a Comment