Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Sanctification takes too long

It's another quiet day here in the office.  The boss is gone, along with at least half the office on meetings and whatnot, and I am sitting here at my desk quietly biding my time until some work comes along.  It is during times like this I tend to spend a lot of time in reflection, thinking about various aspects of life, particularly my own.

Today, I happened down the scary path of wondering what my future looks like.  I can say I have a general idea of where I think I will end up, and I definitely know what I would like to be doing, but I have no clue as to how I am going to get there.  And that is where my flesh starts to kick in.  That part of me that goes, "But I want to be there now!"  I think we all have experienced that at some point or another, and I don't know about you, but I find mine to be quite annoying.  I find myself constantly fighting it, telling it to be patient, and to shut-up.  I look forward to the day when my flesh will actually listen to me, but until then, I am stuck. 

It's not an easy walk we have, even when we are using God's Word as a lamp.  The funny thing is, lamps give off pretty crappy light.  We like to think of our halogen bulbs, and Mag-lites, but a lamp only gives enough light to see the next step, as Pastor Chris puts it.  I would love to just skip so much of the process, and get right to the end result of being where I want to be, but I often find myself needing to be right where I am currently.  I don't know why it is so hard to trust God with my future, because it really shouldn't be.  I certainly don't have any reason not to trust Him, He has more than got me this far, but it always comes down to the same thing.  I need to be satisfied with where God has me, and I need to be diligent to grow where God wants me to grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment