Thursday, July 22, 2010

Truth

Well, it really didn't take long for me to fail at posting once a week.  But here is try number two.

The other week, I was reading The Trinity: Evidence and Issues, and in the opening paragraphs, the author (Robert Morey) explains his logic, and all of the starting assumptions he is making a priori.  I'm not going to go into all the details, but one statement he made about God's existence struck me as somewhat profound.  He said (and I am paraphrasing), that God is independent of our belief in Him.  Meaning, it doesn't matter if we believe in him or not, he will continue to exist.  If no one believes he exists, he will continue.  If everyone believes he exists, he will continue.  This argument was used to defeat the humanist view of men being the way to know God, and God being dependent upon man.

Well, one thing lead to another, and the more I thought about that fact, I realized that it applied to all things related to the truth.  Truth really is absolute.  Despite what the growing trend in society is, the truth does not depend on what people believe.  That then leads me to another conclusion: our beliefs have no impact on what is true.  Reading this, you might be thinking that is fairly obvious after my last statement, but each one has a subtle, different implication of responsibility on our part. 

If the truth is independent of human thought, then it is our responsibility to bend our beliefs to conform to truth, and truth should dictate our lives if we want to actually be living sincerely.  Since our belief in something doesn't change truth, we should not trust primarily in something because we believe it, but because we know it to be true.  Many people, including ourselves, have trusted in different beliefs because those beliefs are all they know.  And what a tragedy when we place our trust in our beliefs (read: ourselves), rather than what is right. 

Hopefully, the next question you would ask, is the same thing that Pilate asked, "What is truth?"  Little did he know the answer was standing right in front of him.  The truth is, we are all sinners.  The truth is, God has to be, and is holy.  The truth is the gospel.  Sure, everyone may not believe it to be true, but that really doesn't change the validity of it.  I have seen my life changed/change because of it, and I have seen other people changed by it.  It will speak for itself, if we are willing to listen.

So if perchance you read this, and you think I am just some crazy religious nut, my challenge to you is this: what is truth to you?  Is truth what you define it to be, or is truth what truth has defined itself to be?

No comments:

Post a Comment